This Historic Gulf to Bay Jewel is located on Captiva Island and was built by James L. Loomis, Sr. in 1937. This Old English Tudor-style home was completely restored & custom designed recently to perfection and is offered fully furnished. "This home is a part of Captiva's rich past and an opportunity to own such a piece of history does not come along very often," said Mike McMurray, managing partner of McMurray & Nette.
According to documented memories of Loomis' son and daughter- in-law, Bud and Ginnie and their daughter, Ginger, from the book "True Tales of Old Captiva", James Loomis first visited Captiva in the late 1920s when he was a General Agent with the Connecticut
Mutual General Agents. At the time there were less than 50 homes on the island - there was yet to be a bridge connecting Sanibel and Captiva to the mainland - and there was not even a paved road or electricity.
The construction of the home began in the summer of 1937 and was completed in the fall of 1939. A retired couple from Michigan, Mr. And Mrs. John Remington, who lived on the other side of the Blind Pass Bridge built the home for the Loomis' who would use it as a winter retreat. While their home was under construction, the Loomis' stayed at 'Tween Waters Inn during their annual visits.
The five bedroom/four bathroom 4,800 square-foot home did have an artesian well that provided sulfur water. The family also used rainwater to cook with and drink. The home enjoys 150 feet of frontage along Captiva Drive. The homes Interior features all of the most modern conveniences including but not limited to; a lower level wine cellar, beautiful custom designed staircase, Art Studio, His and Hers Master bath, top of the line appliances & mechanicals, impact windows & doors, state of the art lutron lighting system, oak wood flooring, pecky wood cypress beams, hand carved interior woodworking, three original coral fireplaces, and arched solid wood doorways. Exterior amenities also include a fantastic center court yard & private spa, a spacious pool area, deep water boat dock with lush tropical gardens and over 100 native and exotic palms, and boat dockage.
Back in the '30s, the islands were very quiet and peaceful. Therewere two telephones on Sanibel, a payphone in a little booth andone at Bailey's General Store. There was also a boat at SouthSeas Plantation that had a ship to shore telephone. The post office was the major gathering place located near Timmy's Nook, now the spot of The Green Flash restaurant. There were four or five fishing guides on the island and a half-day excursion would cost around $7 with a full day priced at $15. Until the causeway was built in 1963, the mail boat would also bring groceries to residents from the Second Street Market in Fort Myers.
The Loomis' enjoyed the friendship of Mr. Chadwick and used to attend cocktail parties with Jay "Ding" Darling at his cottage at 'Tween Waters Inn.
"The Loomis home has been fully restored to its original 'just built' perfection", added Trevor Nette, managing partner of McMurray & Nette. "This home has extraordinary design, construction detail and craftsmanship. This is a very rare opportunity available on an island paradise."
Interested in this property?Click Here